Last night, I got a little creative and made my own pasta dish. I LOVE Italian food but since I can’t eat wheat or dairy, that cuts out pretty much anything you can eat. I saw a picture on Pinterest of a stuffed pasta shells and decided to give it a try.
WARNING: I AM NO FOOD PHOTOGRAPHER – this is basic straight from the iPhone photos, so judge it more on the taste vs the look 🙂
- 1 lb ground dark turkey meat
- baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 onion (you can always add more, I just don’t love onion so much that I want to use a whole one)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Tbsp of Basil, dried (or to make it better, use fresh basil)
- Sea Salt
- Cracked pepper
- grapeseed oil (or whatever oil that is ok to use with high heat)
- Some type of Marinara (you have to check the ingredients – most marinara have some type of soybean oil in them – for this I used Barilla)
- DeBoles Rice Pasta noodles
First, start cooking the noodles per the instructions on the box. Be careful with gluten free/rice noodles because they get soft very easily and will tear easily. I usually add a little bit of oil to keep them from sticking. Preheat oven to 325. Pour oil into skillet, then garlic & onion. cook until soft and fragrant on medium. Add mushrooms and cook until soft. Add turkey meat and season with basil, salt and pepper. Lastly, add marinara, turn to low and let simmer.
To assemble, lay the lasagna noodles flat in your baking dish. Fill the middle with the mixture, then roll them up. I used a small baking dish (8×8), and got 6 rolls. Layer the top with the mixture and place in the oven for about 15 minutes.
*You can always add cheese to the top if you don’t have an issue with dairy – or you can get the dairy free cheese. I don’t like it, so I’d rather go without
**I wanted to add spinach but forgot about it until it was too late.
It was actually quite flavorful and reheated well the next day. Obviously, the full cheese, full wheat version tastes better, but when one can’t eat that stuff – you just improvise!